Sunday 10 June 2012

Fantastic day yesterday being selected as the first Conservative candidate for the role of Police and Crime Commissioner in the North East.  Faced some stiff opposition from the 2 other candidates both of whom had all the experience necessary to do well in the election.  However I stuck to my guns and tried to keep my aims simple.  I firmly believe that this role needs an expert in policing not a career politician.  I'm a former police officer with a forensic mind with experience in business and cyber crime at Newcastle University CCCS.  Brought quickly down to earth after the event by attending my Niece's first birthday party in Haydon Bridge Fire Station which was brilliant.  What a great use of a public resource!  The fire station is used by the village, for parties, meetings and children's groups etc.   Then dashed home for a house viewing and had to generate my own press release for the local media.  Woken up by my son young Patrick 8 months at 3.35am and lay awake until 6am thinking about the campaign ahead.  Had some brilliant responses from friends, family and supporters who say that in this election they are voting for the person not the party which is interesting?  Happy days hopefully ahead and looking forward to developing the campaign.

2 comments:

  1. Having known, travelled extensively and worked closely with Phil since meeting him at the National Crime Faculty many years ago, I feel qualified to endorse him from the opposite end of the country (I am in the SW). The dedication and energy he devotes to projects he cares about is an example to anyone wishing to make a difference in the world. I reserve judgement on the role of PCC's and share the concerns of Dr Tim Brain, a policing expert, of Glamorgan University and a former chief constable, about political parties backing individuals in these important (independent?) posts. However, if people of the calibre of Phil Butler, who is not a politician but refreshingly knows what he is talking about, are being selected then sense is prevailing. Good luck in November Pilgrim. Frank Waghorn MA, BA Ed (Hons), MIfL.

    ReplyDelete